Wednesday, August 7, 2013

No matter how much time you have before a trip there never seems to be enough time.  There always seems to be some last minute details that you have to take care of no matter how much planning you did in the previous months.  The easy decisions like food, clothing and tents are done quickly.  Ramon noodles and tuna are fine that is if you are warm and dry so you throw some more jackets and clothes into the dry bag.  Permits are bought people drop out and you find more to fill in.  The new people been flies and more equipment loaned to them so you throw in more gear into your pile.  You find out about some new stuff coming out of the gear shows so you run to your local store and throw your credit card.  Your pile grows.

You come home from work and stumble into your gear that at one time occupied a single corner now it seems to have transformed into a new floor.  So you throw some coffee on and work through it.  Cutting some stuff...are four rods really needed when you start thinking about the portages.  Do you really need all the flies you have packed.  Some fly shops have less but those stay along with multiple spare spools of leader and wire- then you throw in some heavy saltwater fluoro you hear that there have been musky landed.  Can you go to a lighter fork, you cut your toothbrush in half.  The weather in the Boundary Waters has been cold and rainy a nice tarp to cover the camping area might be nice.  Lowes only has tarps the size of your apartment at least you will be dry. 

This process does not stop until the boats are in the water.  I have repacked about 3 times for this trip to the Boundary Waters.  I have always wanted to head to the Boundary Waters.  The fishing should be good the water is high I hear that is good.  I will not the working for a time that is even better.  No more tying for a time which is good news for my chair- that chair and I have become best friends in the last few weeks.  Looking forward to big fish, great company, isolation, no sirens and clear skies.  I think that I am dialed in with all my stuff.  I think.  Maybe what sleeping bag should I bring?!

No comments:

Post a Comment