Monday, March 11, 2013


Allen Fly Fishing- the ABOO1 Fly Box Review

Like most fly fishermen I am a recovering gear addict.   I don’t know how many Ramen meals I had to eat after I bought my first small stream outfit- doesn’t really matter the rod is sublime to cast.  Recently my new switch rod and reel have had me tying late into most nights.  The first day I swung a streamer through a tail out suddenly I was wide awake. 

So when I saw the extreme affordability of Allen Fly Fishing (www.allenflyfishing.com) I knew I had to try some of their products.   Streamer boxes are pricy- buying enough of them to carry a season’s worth of flies super expensive.  Allen has a numerous fly boxes, each box with pages of 5 star recommendations.  I was most interested in their streamer boxes (7.75” x 4.75” x 1.75”) the ABOO1 for $9.50.  Other companies sell similar boxes for 2-4 times the price. 

The hinges are extremely strong, being more than a little height impaired my boxes get dunked a lot- the ABOO1 keeps my flies dry and the slits in the foam keeps them upright.  While I think that size 4- 10 flies are the best sizes I have gone much smaller/larger and the foam worked awesome.  The AB001 is also plenty deep enough for large poppers for those hungry summer smallies.

So save money buy Allen’s fly boxes, eat canned tuna and peanut butter for the next year to go to Belize.           You will be pleasantly surprised at the extreme value for such a small price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment