Saturday, March 16, 2013


There are many schools of thought in fly fishing- dry flies only, swinging for steelhead, chuck n duck, Czech nymphing….Fly Fishing for gar is not on anybody’s list.  In fact, I recently saw gar on a list of chosen species just above suckers and not fishing at all.  And I would agree.  But sometimes during the dog day’s of Summer I want to catch a dinosaur.  It is the one chance I have to tangle with something prehistoric without the need for a gun, a boat, an alligator and a trip to the ER.  Everything about them is cool- their eyes, mouth, markings and breathing above water making them a brutal Marco Polo opponent.  So, as I tie an order for my favorite gar fly (yes I have a favorite gar pattern- bring on the cool fishermen and tyers giving me crap) I have to smile.  There is somebody else out there wanting to get in touch with their inner kid.  So go all caveman and wrestle with a dinosaur.


No comments:

Post a Comment