Friday, February 7, 2014

DREAM ON- Part One

 

Today I talked with an old friend whom I have not seen in years.  During high school and much of college we had  elaborate dreams for travel to exotic places- Nepal, Alaska, Baffin Island, Patagonia, Thailand…. the list does not end.  Lucky for both us we have been able to check off some of these locations sadly none together.  

It got me thinking.  While maybe not as sexy as another country, South  Carolina has always been high on my fishing list.  Redfish, sea trout, flounder, cobia, and shark OOOHHH BUDDDDY.  And best of all my friend lives kind of close to some great South Carolina fisheries.  If I am lucky enough I will be able to drag him any from his successful job and amazing family for a few days.  I decided to look up flies that are used down there and start tying some up.

Great minds think a like.  This redfish pattern is super close to my CopyCat (a carp killer fly).  Not an exact copy but close enough.  And yes the head was colored with a Sharpie I had no blue thread.  I guess redfish eyes pick out blue really well and flies can always benefit with a splash of blue.


Cobia are simply ball busting brutes and fly shop owners dream  They shatter rods, tear lines on structure, and mangle flies- keep local shops in business fish for cobia.  A tying forum promises that this pattern in yellow and red is a killer combination for cobia.  I know I know never trust forums but if it fails in the salt I am sure there is some stupid pike out there that will crush it.  

 


Now every few tying sessions when I have the time and materials I am gonna spin flies with dreams in mind.  And in the words of Aerosmith “Dream until your dreams come true”




No comments:

Post a Comment