Monday, February 3, 2014

It must have been a Wooly Bugger


I am lucky enough to have many fly fishing mentors- people who can tie circles around me and cast better than I can walk.  They continue to teach me and I cannot thank them enough.  My mentors have built upon my passion for fly fishing that was instilled upon me by a family friend.  Like most kids I started fishing with a Zebco combo complete with the time honored 3030 reel.  I used to run around my parent’s pond- throwing spinners, jigs and dreaming of joining the FLW.

One day I was fishing and my friend Dave came over to me with a fly rod.  It was probably a flimsy trout rod being that Dave was a dedicated Ausable River junkie at that time.   “Fly Fishing is lots more fun” said Dave and gave me his rod.  After he walked me through the absolute basics of casting, he tied on bug probably a wooly bugger.  I soon realized that casting a fly rod was nothing like casting a spin rod.  Some time later I was able get enough line out to be graciously called a cast.  

Being of a gracious nature a smallie came out a hammered the fly.  Probably setting the hook himself more than me.  The rod bounced and danced as the bass fought me- I felt like the fish was in my hand as the energy of the fight traveled down the fly rod.  Grinning ear to ear my friend and I laughed at the joy of it.  Lipping the fish, pulling the fly out and listening to my friend on how to safely release a fish (the bass master release was not cool apparently) little did I know how much it would change my life.

Take a kid fishing- spread the disease of fly fishing.  Watching a kid laugh when fishing will remind you why you started fishing in the first place.  Enjoy yourself on the water you could always be working.  And remember when taking a photo of the fish- grinning laughing is part of grip and grin- no cool guy faces needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment